[pct-l] PCT and Mtn Bikes

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 1 22:43:40 CDT 2012

Good evening,

Sometime in the early 1970’s I hiked into what was then called the Mt.
Jefferson Primitive Area.  I used a trail that departed northwest from the
Metolius River side, and followed a gigantic volcanic flow, the north side
of which forms the southern boundary of the Warm Springs Reservation.  About
a mile past the wilderness boundary sign I saw a bare.  Yes, a real bare –
meaning a totally nude fella on one of the old-time, one-speed,
balloon-tired bicycles.  Well, he wasn’t totally nude; he was wearing a
pair of those cheap, white canvas sneakers.

He had a bundle of clothes tied behind the seat post, and as he sped by on
the way out I yelled at him to be on the lookout for the Bend Ladies
Bird-watching Club that was on the trail right behind me.  Hearing that, he
dumped the bike and quickly put his clothes back on.

I mentioned the event to the USFS ranger that looked after the many
campsites on the Metolius, and he said he knows the guy – a real whack-job
– and has been trying to catch up with him and give him a handful of
tickets.  Maybe his kids are members of the Disciples of Dirt.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/