[pct-l] Whitney and Forester conditions 5/29 - 5/30, and other stuff

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 17:46:40 CDT 2012

Whitney:

The hike from the PCT up past Timberline Lake to Guitar Lake is
essentially a dry hike. No snow and only a couple of mud puddles.

>From Guitar Lake up to Mt. Whitney - easy to follow the trail past
Guitar Lake to the switchbacks up the mountain. Only a couple of snow
lumps on the trail to Trail Crest. One short inconsequential bit of
snow shortly before the summit. (Hiked on 5/29.)

Camping tip:  The second you can first see Guitar Lake, look right -
you won't see anything.  Climb up a few feet and you will find a large
flat area cleared of rocks. I've camped there four times.  Also a
similar spot a little further along that is easire seen from the
trail.  Aggressive marmots here, though.

Forester Pass: South side - A short snow field at the last, highest
plateau before swithcbacking up to the pass, directly under it. If
solid easier to walk on than the trail tread.  Only a couple piles of
snow on some of the switchbacks, easily dealt with. The trail/snow
chute just below the pass notch - trail starting to clear of snow, I
took maybe three steps on snow.  North side -  Spotty switchback
visibility at the top, but more or less continuous snow that I walked
on for about 30 minutes.Intermittent snow/trail from there on.
Compared to 2008/2009 at a time two/three weeks later, far less snow.

Creeks - Still plenty of water in all the usual suspects, but nothing
at all difficult because of level. I was hoping they'd be low enough
for rock hops, but no such luck :-(

Onion Valley - The campground host, Michael, will allow PCT'ers to
stay free in the walk-in sites (2) and also in his location, if there
is room.  I came down 7pm, stayed the night, and then solicited from
campers as they walked around, and as they drove out in the AM.