[pct-l] Sleeping bag help, please

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon May 28 07:10:46 CDT 2012

Good morning, Kit,

Welcome to PCT-L.

Overnight temperatures along the PCT can vary greatly from place to place
and season to season.  Once, south of Mt. Jefferson in C. Oregon, I hiked
in a near-zero visibility snowstorm over deep residual snowpack -- on 31
August, 1999 -- but during other years that date would be balmy and warm.

I use a 15-deg. bag for most of the PCT.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264203  It’s a bit too warm for
some of the late summer nights, but conversely my lighter summer bag is a
can be chilly on some occasions.  Everything is a compromise.

If it’s likely you’ll be hiking/camping over the next dozen years a quality
down bag is a good investment.  It will allow you to be comfortable on the
trail during a greater part of the year, and it will encourage you to get
out of the house when you otherwise might not.

Hint:  By the time thru-hikers reach N. Cal. they are typically lean, hard,
fast, and booking big miles.  For most people joining at that point, trying
to keep up can be damaging and discouraging.  Encourage your friend to
throttle-back a little bit until you get your legs.

Enjoy your trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/