[pct-l] Another Question about Brooks Cascadia

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 27 21:13:00 CDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Another Question about Brooks Cascadia

I know I am late to this discussion but I just wanted to add my 22
cents. I sense from the tone that there is some trepidation over
committing to any particular shoe. Well, don't commit.

The PCT is not a trip to the moon. You will have an opportunity to
purchase shoes in Idyllwild. You might even find some decent shoes in
the hiker box. There are outlet malls in Cabazon. One of them was
called Famous Footwear. They had Merrill Moab Ventilators and some
kind of hybrid sandal/shoe you could hike in at the hardware store in
Wrightwood. There are periodic rides to REI in Northridge from Agua
Dulce. You'll have a better idea what works and what doesn't for you
by then.

The same goes for other gear. It's not a trip to the moon. You can
buy gear from the Internet and pick it up in the next trail town. You
can make each section of the trail a gear testing expedition if you
want. You can mail stuff to yourself, try it out, and mail home what
doesn't cut it.

As far as dirt getting in to your shoes. There's not a lot you can do
about that. If you require clean feet, the PCT is not the trail for
you. There is plenty of dust fine enough to get into the finest
fabric and your thickest socks. The dust can be like talcum powder.

I hiked from Hikertown to Snoqualmie Pass wearing Brooks Cascadias. I
hiked from Snoqualmie Pass to Canada in some kind of Brooks street
running shoes. My feet were completely black in some parts of the
trail. The dirt never caused me blisters. They were adequately
cushioned but I added cushioning insoles and sometimes a couple
layers of cushioned insoles for road walking.

I wore shoes with goretex from the Mexican border to Cabazon. (What
was I thinking? What an idiot!) I got the worst blisters I have ever
had in my whole life. They didn't go away until the Sierras. I
switched to mesh in Cabazon and things were much better, but the
trail leans to one side for 20 miles at a time, then switches and
leans to the other side. There's really no hope.

Nowadays, I hike in Chaco sandals with socks. My feet get really
quite black but Chacos breathe well. They're hard as a rock and a day
pushing 30 miles can get really quite painful.