[pct-l] Best way to travel by air with trekking poles

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sat May 26 12:56:57 CDT 2012

Hi, Gideon:

I travel by air frequently with trekking poles. I telescope them down
and put a sock on the sharp end (my trekking poles came with point
protectors, but I have lost them over the years) and place them inside
my backpack, making sure that the grips are pushed down into the pack so
that the whole pole will be insulated. I stuff my clothes and other
stuff around them. I have never had any problem with either them getting
damaged or the pack having a hole punched in it. I have never tried to
carry them on the plane. I also travel with my backpack in a travel
duffel that I mail back to my home address when I reach my destination.

--Fireweed