[pct-l] Flying with Hiking Poles

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Fri May 25 22:41:09 CDT 2012

Just about everybody I have hosted, 500 or so hikers in 13 years, have had poles with them.  Those who have arrived by airplane have secured their poles with their pack, which must be checked baggage.  Best method seems to be wrapping the poles in bubblewrap and duct taping them to the outside of the pack.  Some poles collapse short enough to be wrapped inside a sleeping bag inside the pack, but most UL packs won’t accommodate this practice.   Most often the whole pack is wrapped with cardboard then placed inside a duffle bag for the trip.  A few lucky hikers have found sturdy cardboard boxes that will hold their pack.  I have yet to see my first piece of damaged hiking gear.  Some hikers have arrived without their checked baggage, and every single one of them had flown on two or more airlines.  One pack showed up a week late.  In 2010 I had duffles full of duffles discarded by hikers.  Now I only have a few.

My hiker hosting for this season is over, having hosted only 40 this year.  Scout and Frodo had 50 in one day!  Hike on!  Good luck to the Class of 2012.  Bob Riess,  San Diego