[pct-l] 1000 acre fire near PCT north of Scissors Crossing Area

Ryan Weidert ryan.weidert at gmail.com
Thu May 24 20:08:58 CDT 2012

I'm currently looking at the Banner Fire as its being called. It looks like
it had crossed about 1.5 miles of trail from approximate mile 73 to 74.5 on
halfmiles maps. On the PCT side of the mountain, most of the fire is "out",
not burning with visible flames or creating much smoke. The ridge directly
above mile 73.5 and halfmile marked CS0073 is still burning slowly westward
into strong winds with frequent flare ups. The planes have been dropping
retardant on the ridge and 10+ fire vehicles are as close to it as they can
drive, however, the steep rocky terrain is undoubtedly hindering their
ability to stop its progress. I'm planning on starting my speed hike
tomorrow, however depending on how things go, I may have to hold back a day
or two, as I plan to be hiking through this area in 1.5 days.
Get that fire out!

Tuna Helper