[pct-l] update on sierra conditions

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Sun May 20 11:39:11 CDT 2012

Doug Thompson, proprietor of the Whitney Portal Store, and one of the most knowledgable people about his area of the Sierra writes on his forum:

"A PCT UPDATE: HIKERS MADE IT OVER FORESTER BUT GOT TURNED BACK BY GLEN.

Be safe and never climb into something you won't like on the way backdown!!!! Thanks Doug"

"Richard P," who has climbed Whitney somewhere(I've lost track) the last 25 weekends in a row (yes), was going to do a section hike this last week from Cottonwood Pass to Onion Valley, and said:

"Didn't make Forester (more later), but did see very few tracks on the west side. Can you say desolation? I didn't see a single soul after leaving the JMT Junction!

 Don't assume that Shepherd Pass is easy because of this being a Low Snow Year! (Again more later.)"

Remember that this is EXTREMELY early in the game, this year.  Snow conditions are about a month ahead of average, from most reports.

I was up at Huntington Lake last weekend, on a trail crew project, and the snow that was gone was amazing.