[pct-l] Brooks Cascadias

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri May 18 20:17:06 CDT 2012

If you are so new, you might want to do some reading. But more than
that, don't make the PCT your first backpack trip. Go backpacking
now. Find some nice trails near you and go on overnight trips and use
the 3 day weekends coming up. Get all the experience you can. Nothing
hurts more than watching shattered dreams 100 miles up the PCT.

Here are some good resources:
Read Paul Mag's site:
http://www.pmags.com/
Especially this article on his site:
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer
http://www.whiteblaze.net - Read and ask a million questions
And this article on Whiteblaze (you know, so you can start
backpacking NOW):
http://tinyurl.com/7adosnd - Cheap Gear – How to Dirt Bag and Deal
Shop Like a Professional
http://www.trailjournals.com - Look at people's gear lists
http://www.backpackinglight.com - Check out the forum

And no, boots are not necessary for backpacking. Cue Ned now who will
tell you the opposite...