[pct-l] Castle Crags to Ashland

Joe Waters joewwaters at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 00:03:39 CDT 2012

Susan from Spokane:

I did Castle Crags to Callahan's (on I-5 near Ashland), and on to Fish Lake,
starting 25 July last year, which - as you probably know - was a very heavy
snow year in California.  That start date worked out perfectly then in
regards to availability of water (all the listed sources, and more, were
running) and not tons of snow, but enough snow to make it interesting - some
photos, with info in captions, are at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45912277@N03/collections/72157623540968988/.
So I would think starting anytime in July this year would be OK, probably
early July better for water availability given the small amount of snow this
year.   PCT-L will probably have postings on conditions from others hiking
through there later this year, so keep a lookout for such postings, which is
how I made the decision when to leave last year.

I had no problems getting rides from the trail into Etna and back.  Stayed
at Alderhof Manor in Etna, in my tent on their beautiful grounds (which the
very hiker-friendly owners, Dave and Vicky Harrison, let me do since their
"Hiker Hut" had been rented by a family - for only $10, which included
shower and use of laundry).  There were about 10 PCT hikers there.  It was a
great experience, and Etna is a neat town .  Dave gave another hiker and me
a ride back to the trail the next morning.

>From Seiad Valley, I started at daybreak and climbed out on the PCT - found
it enjoyable and not too steep.  Haven't done the Seiad Valley Road to Cook
and Green Pass, but think - at least with an early start - that the trail
would be more enjoyable than the road.

Hope this helps.  Good luck; have a wonderful hike.

- Blue Feather