[pct-l] On hiking shoes and preparedness

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu May 10 19:41:47 CDT 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience, Steele-Eye. Mine is similar.

In the Sierras, where the trail is basically a creek, I wore mesh
running shoes. My feet were usually dry enough to feel comfortable
again in 15 minutes, or by the next dunking. Up in Washington it was
a little worse for my feet. They were soaking wet all day from either
rain or brushing water off of wet plants encroaching on the trail. My
feet dried out every night as I rested and slept in my tent. That was
good enough to prevent any problems with my feet. At least they were
clean.

I wear leather shoes most of the time lately because I developed a
hobby of making my own shoes. I've made a few pairs out of relatively
thin upholstery leather that I've hiked in. Whereas big leather boots
are lined with foam or wool or something between the inner and outer
layers of leather, mine are just simple leather shoes. I've been
really surprised to see how when I go for a long enough hike they
become soaked through just from my sweat. They will appear to be
soaking wet and I haven't even stepped in a creek. This experience
demonstrates pretty well to me how wet your feet are all day long in
unbreathable footwear even without stepping into a creek. For that
reason, I now make hiking sandals and save the shoes for other things.