[pct-l] Snow impasses?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu May 3 19:48:14 CDT 2012

I think it is mostly that hikers want to hike, not go on a Himalayan
expedition. The distance between resupply locations gets really very
far in the Sierras, especially if you go early and the Muir Ranch and
VVR aren't open yet or the shuttles aren't running to take you to
Mammoth. It's not like you'll have your yak to carry your gear,
either. Chopping steps all day sounds quite exhausting. Many hikers
are fairly worn out already in the Sierras. To spend a day chopping
steps and making about a mile an hour or less while carrying enough
gear and food for 250 miles would be exhausting and heart-breaking.

Still, people used to hike through the Sierras in May way back in the
70s on their thru-hikes, so it is doable. Check out the trail journal
of the Funk Brothers on trailjournals.com. I believe theirs was 1975.
They had a lot of snow in Southern California and used plastic
snowshoes in the Sierras. Hiking the trail was a lot different back
then.