[pct-l] Crater Lake

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 30 21:59:19 CDT 2012

Good evening,

So, now the lake is about 950 feet below the rim rather than the summertime
900 feet.

Which reminds me: Years ago when I had a summer job with the USFS in that
area.  I visited Crater Lake often – it was free to us – and I met a guy
who had a similar summer flunky job working at Rim Village.  He had a bit
of a scam going to pick up a few extra bucks during his off-time.  He would
hang around that sheltered viewpoint that seems to hang out over the cliff,
and he would pick out some young, stud-looking, tourist guys and bet them a
few bucks that they couldn’t throw a snowball – or rock – into the lake
from up there.  From the rim the lake looks so close he got some takers.  They
would take a mighty heave, then watch the rock or snowball fly way out
before it curved back and hit the slope nowhere near the lake.  The lake at
that point is over 1,000 horizontal feet away but it’s so high it doesn’t
look anywhere near that far.

Here’s a challenge for all you ’12 hikers:  Try it yourself and see if you
can do it.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/