[pct-l] Water north of Crater Lake

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Mar 26 18:45:09 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, Doug,

The hiker-alternate PCT around the northwest portion of Crater Lake crosses
the rim road about Mile-1840.5.  That’s about 6 miles north of water at Rim
Village.   At that point there’s car parking area with view points, etc.  Last
year I stopped at the parking area to eat a snack, and some nearby tourists
talked to me about the hike.  In the process they offered to top-up my
Platy and jug with their bottled water.  I didn’t plan on getting water
there but it provided me with more margin for the next day.  That’s a
possibility, but not a totally reliable one.

>From that view point, the PCT generally parallels within sight of the road
north until about Mile-1844-1845 just west of Grouse Hill.  Somewhere in
that area might be a good cache site because Grouse Hill is very obvious.  From
there it’s a very manageable dry-hike to Thielsen Creek, a very reliable
source.

Enjoy your planning and your trip,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye