[pct-l] stove confusion

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Sun Mar 25 21:37:18 CDT 2012

Digging through the USPS site I found this, in regards to the 4 oz limit:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#1065023

<snip>
10.12.3 Container

An other-than-metal primary receptacle containing a mailable gas may be acceptable if the water capacity of the primary receptacle is 4 fluid ounces (7.22 cubic inches) or less per mailpiece and the primary receptacle meets 49 CFR requirements. Mailable nonflammable and flammable compressed gases are acceptable in metal primary receptacles that have a water capacity up to 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter or 61.0 cubic inches), depending on their internal pressure. A DOT 2P container must be used as the primary receptacle if the internal pressure is from 140 to 160 psi at 130°F (55°C). A DOT 2Q container must be used as the primary receptacle if the pressure is from 161 to 180 psi at 130°F (55°C). A container with an internal pressure over 180 psi at 130°F (55°C) is prohibited from mailing. Mailable flammable compressed gases are restricted to 33.8 fluid ounces (1 liter) per mailpiece. Mailable nonflammable compressed gases are permitted in individual 33.8 fluid ounce (1 liter) containers that must be securely packed within an outer shipping container. Each mailpiece must not exceed a total weight of 25 pounds.
<snip>

So, the 4 oz limit only applies to NON-metal containers.  Metal containers can be up to 1 liter in capacity.  The larger canisters are (Snow Peak)  are DOT 2P.

Also, the single package limit is 1 liter (~33 fl oz) per mail package.  This means you can mail 2 large canisters (Snow Peak "220g" size is by weight but 401ml by volume), or 4 smaller ones (JetBoil 100gm is 3.53fl oz, verify the canister VOLUME, fluid ounce, and do the math)

Anyone want to know how to ship them UPS, maybe even UPS Air?  ;-)

Bill Burge
bill at burge.com