[pct-l] Trail Shoes

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Mar 25 09:33:17 CDT 2012

I started the trail with some goretex shoes. My feet could not
breathe. They sweated a lot. I have never experienced such a terrible
foot stench. It was like rotting meat. I got terrible blisters. I
traded the shoes out for some regular ones as soon as I could and was
so much more comfortable.

Iin the Sierras you don't need goretex because the creeks are too
deep. Your shoes will fill up with water and if your shoes are
goretex the water won't drain out. You aren't going to have time to
change your shoes to cross creeks because the entire trail is one big
creek. Goretex might be nice for walking on all that melting snow but
you have to cross so many creeks any advantage would be cancelled
out. If you get a year like last year where you are walking over snow
for hundreds of miles you might find goretex useful. But even then I
think it would be optional as you might prefer real boots under those
conditions.

Then in Northern California it's just as hot, even hotter, than it
ever was in Southern California. Then in Oregon there's hardly
anything worthy of goretex. You're not walking in melting snow
anymore. The bigger creeks are deep like the Sierras, many of the
smaller ones are bridged.

It's only when you get to the rainy country that goretex might have
any value because as you brush against the wet plants the water
drains down into your shoes. But I think even then goretex would have
limited value if the rain runs into your shoes from the ankles rather
than over the tops of them. Once they'd be full of water, the water
would never escape and you'd be sloshing down the trail with prune feet.