[pct-l] shoe suggestions?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:08:18 CDT 2012

That's probably the old model as that is exactly the color scheme I hiked
in.  Those also come in blue and yellow.  You simply have to start looking
for them online and don't pay full price for them as they are put on sale
regularly.  I've stocked up 6 pair and am considering buying some more.  I
was in the Mountain Hardwear Friends and Family store today in Richmond CA,
and learned that they are affiliated with Montrail.  I think both brands
are now owned by Solomon.  I looked for the Sabinos and they had none and
the associate looked them up in the newest catalogue and couldn't find them
at all.  So they are on their way out.  He said just buy up as many pair as
you can when you find them.  They are still featured on many websites, but
it may not be for long.  There are several other incarnations of the Sabino
and you simply have to buy the pair that have the exact same stitching
pattern that yours have.  Any others may have a different sole and fit.

I had a great time talking about thru hiking with the guys running the
store and they offered to donate a bunch of passes for me to hand out at my
next John Muir/thru hiker BBQ in Martinez CA, which will probably be next
fall, after you all finish the PCT and I get off the CDT.  You can only get
in with a pass, or be an employee or "in the business" and the markdowns on
their products was often 50% and better, so it's a cool store to hang
around in.

Good luck finding shoes,

Shroomer