[pct-l] Oregon Section Hikers

R. Patton give_a_rip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 14:43:58 CDT 2012

Hello oh wise and esteemed hikers,

I realize we're a bit late to the party, but my 16 year old son, Soren, (just turned so today) and I (his mother Ripley) are planning to hike the Oregon section of the PTC this summer. We live in Portland, so our plan is to enter the trail at the CA/OR border in late July or first of August and hike home via the Eagle Creek option at the end.

We have begun to train. have read Ray Jardine's book, have ordered our Eric the Black Atlas for OR (eagerly waiting for it to arrive), and have just begun to gear up.

I am finding it hard to find info on what we may or may not need gear-wise just for the Oregon section in August. I am thinking we won't need snow gear (crampons, ice axe etc) or a bear canister, but wanted to check with those wiser than I.

Anyone have a guestimate on average temps at night for selecting sleeping gear?

Suggestions for roomy but light two-person shelter options (wherein the occupants aren't toocozy- he's sixteen and I'm his mom, remember this:)

Also, where it the best place to enter at the CA/OR border- what trailhead? And where to get permits for that section alone? I have only seen CA fire permit info. Does OR require fire permits?

Hope to see and meet some of you on the trail. Am I correct in thinking thru hikers will also be on that portion of trail at the time?

Any other section hikers doing what we are, we'd love to hear from you and share info, etc.

Been farming the forum for wisdom. Thanks to all

Rip and Ren

website: http://www.ripleypatton.com/
blog: http://rippatton.livejournal.com