[pct-l] OPERATION: WASHTUB

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:39:40 CDT 2012

OK, I've been away for the weekend communing with my sweetie at Harbin
Hotsprings.  Wow, what a send off for the CDT.  I'd like to come home still
married and that's one great weekend if you're in the Wine Country, check
it out.  But kudos to Jackass, the Woolverines, Joe and anyone else who
jumped in and donated!!!  For all these wonderful folks give every year,
setting up a fund to help them out is the least we can do as a community.

There was the sound of John Coltrane and the smell of smoked chicken
floating out over the chamise when I first approached Mike Herrera's two
years ago.  And then that barrel of cool water we all sat around and soaked
our feet in on a hot desert day in his backyard, the chicken courtesy of
Gourmet who I met for the first time there too.  Thank you Mike and Gourmet.

There were a bunch of folks who due to the depth of snow and ice on Fuller
Ridge were asked by the SAR guys to jump north and come back so as not to
give them more reason to go and rescue our butts and put their own on the
line.  Who was there to open earlier than she had planned. Donna, L-Rod and
Jeff Saufley.  She put up and cleaned up 13 of us, with her totally
inadequate washer and dryer, only warning us that she wasn't quite ready
for the onslaught.  God, what people!

There was food and fun and chocolate or was that mud at the House of the
Moon just when you thought you needed a party and a day to chill, or make
that 3 days or hell, why not spend the week.  Talk about the land of the
Lotus Eaters.  These folks are so damn nice some folks have to peel
themselves out of the place.  Thank you Terry and Joe for donating your Pay
Pal account.

There was a dry spot in Northern WA in a little town of Skykomish where a
couple of good people had built a hiker dormitory with their own money so
we could drape our dripping wet tents and bags from every rafter in the
place and where we all snuggled so close for a nero around that wood stove
before hitting more wet and fog to Manning.  Salt of the earth great folks!!

There was a rave going on in Beldon Town and an angel there who called the
only place to get dinner and had them stay open until we could get there,
and then fed us the best muffins and pancakes we had on trail then next
morning.

There were unofficial angels near Tahoe and then again at Bucks Lake who
fed us a dinner that started out with tri tip, pulled pork, ribs and
lasagne and a ping pong table full of sides.  I'm not kidding!  Fed 15 or
20 of us and asked nothing.  We called the trail north of Tahoe the "land
of the trail angels."

And there were so many good folks along the way, old Lloyd, and I mean
old!!  driving hundreds of miles to give Smiles a lift to the emergency
room when she got very sick and the list and experiences go on and on.

Guys, if you haven't given yet, Jackass has come up with the best way to
help these wonderful folks out I've seen yet.  They've spent thousands of
their own money to help us out, to be part of the experience.  They
actually like hiker trash.  So give deep, and give now as the season is
just beginning and I know there will be more need as the season progresses.

Anyway, thank you Jackass!!!!  And the Wolverines and Joe, and anyone out
there who has ever lifted a finger to give aid or just plain fun to any old
hiker trash who needed it.

Shroomer