[pct-l] Canada

Keith Kurko kwkurko at comcast.net
Mon Mar 19 02:11:54 CDT 2012

Weathercarrot and Jason,

Jason's Option #1 below is known as the Boundary Trail.  It is magnificent,
but isolated, and does not get a lot of maintenance until you hit Ross Lake.
Friends of mine hiked it a number of years ago and encountered over 100 down
trees on the downward trail between Elbow Basin and Ross Lake.  I would
recommend calling the US Forest Service in Winthrop Washington (they are the
station responsible for its maintenance) to see when the last time it was
maintained.

Jason's Option #2 below is to follow the USA's newest National Trail (signed
into law in 2009), The Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail (see
http://www.pnt.org/), by going south on the PCT past Hopkins Pass and then
heading west either from Holman Pass or west from Rock Pass (not labeled on
some maps) through Sky Pilot Pass (love that name) and Devil's Dome to Ross
Lake and Highway 20.  This latter route would be about 45 miles one way.
>From Monument 78 back to Hart's Pass is about 35 miles, but it is another 30
mile hike further south to Rainy Pass and Highway 20.

I have hiked the Boundary Trail west from Castle Pass to Ross Lake.  I have
never hiked this part of the new PNW trail, but I have seen it from a
distance, and friends of mine have hiked it.  It too looks magnificent, and
you see and stay in more high country going this way rather than taking the
Boundary Trail.

And taking the new PNW trail would indeed get you to Highway 20 in fewer
miles.

Keith Kurko
Seattle, Washington