[pct-l] Bear Creek and Bridge Considerations

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Mar 16 22:00:29 CDT 2012

On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:33 PM, Barry Teschlog wrote:
> First off, my experience at Bear Creek from my 2006 thru hike:  I was knocked down and washed down stream
> about 30 yards on the first try.  2nd try I was spun around and retreated.  3rd try I went upstream a bit and was a little over half way across when I was knocked
> down so swam for it.  Partner was knocked down on his try.  We were both bloodied.  Another thru came by as we were drying off on the far bank.  She'd been knocked down and dragged for ~100 yards when she had tried further down.  Lost her flip flops in that attempt.  She was knocked down crossing where we did, but made it.  She was bloodied as well.

I crossed Bear Creek in 2004 and 2007, both low snow years and perhaps quite comparable to this year (which may be even lower).

No problems at all crossing Bear Creek at the trail.  I don't mean that I skipped across just that it was not particularly difficult.  I don't think this year's class of thru-hikers are going to have as many troubles as last year's class.

Note: Even the simplest of crossings can be dangerous if you slip on a rock or tree, get your foot stuck under a rock and so on.  Use due caution at every crossing.

Radar