[pct-l] Lightweighting microspikes?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:21:22 CDT 2012

In 2010, a big snow year, Smiles used heal cramps, but she has many
mountaineering years behind her.  Years ago when I hiked in boots I
routinely used instep cramps on what you're likely facing this year and
worse.  I started the San Jacintos in 2010 with Yaktrax and the rubber is
not strong enough and tore in several places before the end of Fuller
ridge.  They still did their job and thank God I had them as we has a lot
of snow and ice up there that year.  I threw them out in Cabazon.  So for
the Sierra I carried not Microspikes, but the full, Katoola aluminum
cramps.  They weigh only a little more than microspikes, but provide a
flexible, (ie for my tennis shoes) yet solid platform, and they do not
role.  They were tied with my WM down pants as my favorite piece of gear
that year.

Now, all that being said, this may be a low snow year in which case with
your experience, instep cramps may be fine.  I used them in the Sierra for
years and would again except that I love my slightly dull now, Katoola
Aluminum Cramps.

Shroomer