[pct-l] Lightweighting microspikes?

Eric Munsing eric.munsing at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:40:24 CDT 2012

As I tally up the weight of my pack I cringe at the weight of the extra
sierran gear, and particularly my microspikes.  Much of their weight (17oz
with bag for size L) seems to be in the rubber attachment system- which
seems like bulky and overbuilt.  I'm curious whether anyone has tried
replacing the rubber part with a cord lacing system or otherwise
lightweighting the microspikes.  Also, any experience thru-hiking with
other, lighter traction systems, i.e. instep crampons or yaktrax?

I ask as an avid backcountry skier and mountaineer with a high degree of
comfort with steep snow climbs, self-rescue, and exposure; I recognize that
the microspikes are a safety system but would feel comfortable with a less
robust, lighter system.  That being said, most of my experience with snow
has been while wearing ski/mountaineering boots, so I'm new to the world of
hiking-compatible traction systems- hence the question for the list.

When all is said and done, by the time I hit the Sierras I'll hopefully be
in good enough shape that I won't notice the extra weight...

--
Eric Munsing
+1 781 492 0614