[pct-l] Bear Creek crossing 2010

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Fri Mar 16 11:16:31 CDT 2012

I am not talking about a rope from the bank of the river to a person but
a rope tied off between both banks.

http://books.google.com/books?id=k85d3kUp-OQC&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=rope+a
ssist+river+crossing&source=bl&ots=-GDQ7DTqEs&sig=vBq_chWEZw_YxwO19jJ53Z
jeCTU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pGVjT7jGOYiOiAKy3vCiDw&ved=0CF0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=r
ope%20assist%20river%20crossing&f=false

Check out this Google books link and scroll down a little.

Jim

On 3/16/2012 7:27 AM, James Vesely wrote:

> I know its "wild and scenic" but would it hurt for the park service
> to stretch a large rope between two trees (if not a bridge) for a
> hand hold across some of the larger creeks?
>
> I wonder how many people have lost there life or almost lost there
> life on some of these fords.   A rope would be cheap, easy and
> effective.

And dangerous. Ray Jardine, in his PCT hikers handbook, describes the
dangers of using ropes to assist during stream crossings. He describes
how he has tried various methods to use ropes for stream crossings, and
all of them made the situation worse. You literally become like a kite
in the wind, except that in this case the current pulls you under the
water as you pull on the rope.
To unsubcribe, or change options visit: