[pct-l] 900 Fill Down

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Fri Mar 16 10:59:13 CDT 2012

OK, here is the exact quote from Ryan Jordan of BackpackingLight about 900 fill down from an article titled "Propects For 2012: New and Noteworthy Gear."

"My own experience with "very high" (i.e.>900) fill power down suggests that it's so sensitive to humidity and condensation that it takes precious little moisture (e.g., one night of condensation accumulation during a cold night) to reduce its loft levels that have always made we wish for something more robust.  So if you're considering it, you might also consider that it seems mostly to be a novelty that looks better on your gear list weight column than on a rainy night in the wilds. I will concede that there may be some applicability of very high fill power down for hikers traveling through mostly dry and warm environments."

There you have it, and I might add that it costs $25 a year to subscribe to Backpackinglight and it is worth every penny.  I have found their reviews and advice to be spot on and reliable. It is like a Consumers Report for Backpackers.