[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 17

Jason M. jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:12:38 CDT 2012

Hey MendoRider,

Right now I'm using a Gossamer Gear Gorilla Pack (22.3oz) stripped of it's
hipbelt and 'extra' straps, it's about 17oz. I'm still 'streamlining' my
gear for the year and am playing around with removing the aluminum stay as
there won't be a belt to transfer the load to - though it provides rigidity
to the pack; I'll decide if I need it once my gear is dialed-in. I would
like to use a Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus pack but I'm trying to utilize
the gear that I already have.

I don't have a gram scale and so don't have exact weights for many items (I
toss all I think I need into my pack and use a pound/ounce hand scale for a
total). Here are some of the weights (big 3) that I do know:

quilt w/ epic shell  13oz
pack  17oz (14 w/ stay removed)
my share of complete shelter system (pad,tarp,groundsheet, guy line,
stakes)- 15oz + 4-6oz for bug protection in Sierra
I don't carry a stove/cook set - only a spoon & lightweight pocket knife

45oz - this leaves room for 5 pounds of clothing, food&water bags/bottles,
first-aid, umbrella, & tobacco

that's it,

Jackass