[pct-l] Sawyer Water Filter Adapter SP110

Dan C. aka Thumper dofdear at cox.net
Tue Mar 13 14:05:12 CDT 2012

Previously on the list and in John's blog there was discussion regarding the potential to use the Sawyer Water Filter with an in-line adapter set.  This is their "INLINE HYDRATION PACK ADAPTERS FOR SAWYER SCREW ON FILTER, SP110.  I promised to report back my findings.

I'm sad to report that the adapters are generic barbs and will not iterface with any quick disconnect or standard hoses used in today's drinking tubes.  The intent of the SP110 is to cut your existing drinking tube hose and slide the barbs into each cut end.  The problem is that barb's diameter is to small to create a seal (by about half) after insertion into the cut hose end.

I recommend you not try this in-line method until a properly fitting adapter is available.

One use for the female aportion of the adapter would be to use it with the squeeze bag and push clean water through the drinking tube into your bladder.  In addition to the Sawyer Adapter you will need a short lenght of tubing and quick disconnet that works with your drinking tube.  I currently have used this setup to use a filter pump to push clean water through the drinking tube into the bladder.  My whole goal in this is to not have to remove the bladder from the pack.

Not all drinking tubes have this type of setup.  As an example, I use the military version of the Camelbak bladder with drinking tube.  My son uses the non-Mil type.  My bite valve can be removed from the drinking tube via a quick disconnect and could be adapted to the Sawyer filter as described above.  The non-Mil type does not use quick disconnects hense it is not adaptable.

I've copied Saywer Customer Service on this post and  hopefully they will consider an adapter set that will quick disconnect with the existing bladders and another adapter set, while barbed, will be of the correct diameter to adapt to the drinking tubes.

Thumper aka dofdear

What could be easily