[pct-l] How many socks?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Mon Mar 12 11:35:28 CDT 2012

Totally agree with you, David.

Clean, dry socks - or relatively clean, dry socks - go a long ways toward
preventing blisters and keeping feet clean and dry.

I always carry at least three pair; two pair for hiking and one pair
reserved only for sleeping. Type and thickness change with the hiking
conditions anticipated.

I change my hiking sock every other hour if hiking uphill or on the level;
every hour if hiking downhill (more slippage and friction on the foot going
downhill). I rinse out the pair not in use whenever possible and let them
dry on my pack as I walk. Unfortunately, the weather will not always allow
for drying. Damp and clean beats dry but dirty. Trailside laundry in camp as
needed - 2 drops of Dr. Bonners soap in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, add 2 liters
creek water, add socks, seal, shake vigorously. Let stand for a few minutes.
Repeat. Drain, Rinse well. Wring dry and hang to finish drying. My feet are
happier and the flowers no longer wilt when I walk past them.

Wandering Bob