[pct-l] Three questions to the list for 2012

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 7 22:04:02 CST 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> 1. What ingenious solutions have some of you come up with for bump
> boxes?
> Ideally, we'd like a bump box that can be re-used -- that has a lid
> that
> opens and than can be resealed without too much wear & tear. I
> guess we've
> seen on one of the videos that some folks have used plastic paint
> buckets.
> Any recommendations?

I used a 3-gallon Kirkland laundry detergent bucket. A better option
would be the Scoop-away cat litter bucket. I got a little difficulty
with the laundry detergent bucket because you can't mail laundry
detergent. No matter that's not what's inside. I ended up covering
the entire bucket in priority mail stickers so they couldn't see the
label anymore. Trailhacker also used the same bucket but he sanded
off the label before heading out. It cost around $12 each time I
mailed it, which was comparable to the boxes, especially if you
consider the large volume of the bucket.