[pct-l] The Ultimate High Energy...UL...trail food

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Mar 3 18:38:24 CST 2012

Todd,
For light weight, high calorie trail lunches think "MACADAMIA NUTS".
At 200 calories per ounce nothing beats Macadamia Nuts.
You have to go to straight oil or fat to beat that.
Mixed nuts have only about 170 calories and are dry tasting and therefore
require lots of water.
Macadamia nuts on the other hand, because of their high oil contents, have
a moist taste and therefore do not require you to drink a lot of water.

I know, some folks will argue........FAT IS BAD FOR YOU!!!

I say, that may be so for the average person, but "FAT" is a long distance
hikers "BEST FRIEND".
Besides, Macadamia Nuts are high in Monounsaturated Fat, the most benign
of fats and does not effect your cholesterol.
In other words it is the good fat.
At 250 calories per ounce vs 110 calories per ounce for carbs&  protein it
does not take a rocket scientist to see that you get a lot more bounce for
the ounce from fat.
Besides, you will burn all that fat, and more, anyway.

That is why UL Speed Hikers  "SUPPLEMENT"  their menu with "OIL"...to boost
calories and keep the food weight down.

On my JMT speed hikes I include lots of Macadamia Nuts to keep my menu down
to around 2 lb and deliver around 4,800 calories, around 150/oz.
However, I burn about 8,000-10,000 calories and therefore still loose about
one pound of body fat per day.

Like I said You will burn all that fat, and more, anyway.
Besides, I love Macadamia Nuts....that is why I have 2 Macadamia Nut trees
growing in my back yard.

I say any serious UL Hiker should have a Macadamia Nut tree in his back yard.

Some folks say that is my problem....TO MANY MACADAMIA NUTS.

JMT Reinhold
Your Macadamia Nut loving trail companion
Todd wrote:
I've about run out of meal ideas while trying to keep my menu
some-what fresh and varied so I'm looking for suggestions?  Specifically
lunch-type food, obviously high calorie and light yet also cheap?  Thanks!

Todd