[pct-l] Polycryo Shelter

Bernard Mines minesbernard at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 18:53:33 CST 2012

As I gear up, I'm sort of curious about other hiker's experience with shelters.

Initially I was thinking of going the Lynne Wheldon route, just a Silnylon tarp.  But I'm thinking using 2 trees and a line, is not that dependable, so I bought a couple of lightweight carbon fiber poles to pitch it.  Very light weight and more dependable.  But as I'm researching materials, I came across this stuff called Polycryo.  Apparently some ultra light weighters are using it as a ground cloth.  If it works for that I thought why not a top sheet as well, after all I think an 8' by 6' section only weighs 4 Oz total.  Then I look online, and some hiker has a video on how to make a tent out of a shrink seal patio door kit.  Whole thing weighs 8 oz..  But it is a kind of tight shelter, but it seems pretty cool too, and seems like it would work too.  Curious to hear opinions.  I don't really plan on using the tent in most places only in the rain.

Also weird IMHO, why don't any of the local outfitters carry lightweight gear?  Of the 3 outfitters in my town, none carry titanium tent stakes.  None carry silnylon tarps.  None carry that beautiful 1 pound Western Mountaineering 35 degree bag?  None carry carbon fiber poles?

Sincerely,
Bernard