[pct-l] tent stakes and water filters for South. Calif.

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:25:52 CST 2012

Hi Sandy,  I bet you just can't wait to start.  The reason I say that is
your are suffering from the normal pre hike jitters and have only resupply
and gear that you can do anything about until you can actually start
hiking.  We have all been there done that - trust me I keep looking at
those Cubin Fiber shelters and thinking how could I ever do a thru hike
with such a heavy tent like the 2 lb one I now carry?

Any tent stakes will work fine,  on the one or two occasions the ground is
soft, just pile a rock or two on top of the stake.

The water in So. Cal is not great but it is also not that bad.  Chemical
treatments or filters will both work great no matter which one you chose -
it is really just a matter of preference.  With Agua Mira you have to wait
20 minutes, with a filter you don't.  With a filter you have to pump the
darn thing - doesn't sound like too much effort but several times a day -
day after day after day - it gets old.
I believe most Thru hikers opt for chemicals just for the weight savings
but several also carry filters.

Enjoy your section hike - any long hike can be a life changing experience
(for the better, of course)

Day-Late (Who fondly remembers all the pre hike jitters and questions
before his first thru hike)