[pct-l] Bleach treatment links?

Jeff Eckert jape1 at cox.net
Sun Mar 4 10:24:34 CST 2012

Being that this is your first thru, you might consider being conservative when it comes to final choices in weight reduction.  15 pounds is great.

If you are conditioned before the hike, the difference between 15 and 17 pounds shouldn't be a make or break issue.  If you love to take the time to keep a video diary, take the camera.  If you're happy with the pump, haul it along.

Just remember that there is a mailbox at the end of day one, day three and day six (if you count the hitch up to Julian from Scissors Crossing)  You'll have plenty of opportunity to send stuff home, and have stuff sent to you.

In answer to your question, the Clorox website says: http://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-regular-bleach/faq/

Can Clorox® Regular-Bleach be used to disinfect water?

Yes. When boiling off water for 1 minute is not possible in an emergency situation, you can disinfect your drinking water with Clorox® Regular-Bleach as follows:
1. Remove suspended particles by filtering or letting particles settle to the bottom.
2. Pour off clear water into a clean container.
3. Add 8 drops of Clorox® Regular-Bleach (not scented or Clorox® Plus® bleaches) to one gallon of water (2 drops to 1 quart). For cloudy water, use 16 drops per gallon of water (4 drops to 1 quart).
4. Allow the treated water to stand for 30 minutes. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat and wait another 15 minutes. The treated water can then be made palatable by pouring it between clean containers several times.