[pct-l] Also here's some water notes I sent to ASAbat Backwoods.

ken campbell kc.bike at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 13:17:19 CST 2012

Here's A copy of some of the reports I have been sending to AsAbat's water reports any reports I sent before this were sent by Iphone so I don't have a copy.
Backwoods.

Hi AsAbat
I made it to my gaol for this section yesterday at Hwy 74 I'll be back on the trail in a couple of week's I was pretty lucky weather wise I only got rain'd more like sprinkeld on a couple of times and when I go home here in Idyllwild it started snowing it snow'd pretty good last night to. Man what can I say that you don't already know about how wonderfull the PCT is the whole experance so farmore than I ever expcted I love that trail and all that go with it. I made a few notes for you and I'll put the report under. so I filter with a Sawyer inline filter. The 2 most scary water winners for sections A and B are tied between Barrel springs and the Guzzler 139.5. Barrel sp had a super slow drip like 1 drop a second and tub was milky I skooped by the drip becouse it was the clearest I went very slow trying not to stirr it up but just touching the water stirred up the orange silt I'm afraid that when alot of hikers come though it wont be a usfull water sorce
 the sorce pool was worse and so was the little stream coming from it. I proubly drank and made dinner with a gallon and I'm not sick though. The guzzler water came out kind of brown and I made the mistake of looking in it yuck there was all kind's of stuff on top the water. The water level seemed low about 2 ft from the top I dont know how deep it is though. I dident drink any of it I dumped it out and used the water from the stream at that night's camp at 140.5 good water. I made it to mike's 127.1 on a Sat Him and his buddys from work were up for the day I got a chicken dinner and had a great time sitting around the fire shooting the shit with them and he had me sleep in the moterhome I asked him about filtering the water and he told my he says that to cover his ass incase anyone got sick and dlamed it on the water Smart move I darnk it straight and it was fine.he was working on the tank and filled it while I was there. good people. OK report time
2/8 third gate 91.2 I counted 48 full gal's new unopened stater bros water. nice
2/8 barrel sp 101.4 Water but Yuck
2/9 104.9 cow troff I could see water pooled around it from the trail.
2/9 105.2 san ysidro cr flowing 1 1/2 ft w clear running strong
2/9 108 Canada verde 2ft wide 1ft deep running very strong clear. If you keep walking there are places further from were the stream
is visable from the train that you dont have to climb down to get to it.
2/9 warner springs water at gas st is off and bathrooms locked with no other bathroom'S around so pee before you get there. there is a picknic
tadle behind the PO with spicot right behind it on the wall it's a nice shady spot to do your RE supply.
2/9 dident get that close but ould see a slow flow from trail it gets bigger as you go farther up the trail.
2/9 112.6 see above yes water.
2/9 115.5 2 to 5 ft wide clear running like a river I filled up there dident filter it drank over a gallon good water.
2/10 124 to 125 in the bolder feilds I counted 8 streamletts some with small pools down from trail good for at leasta few liters each - clear
2/10 127 mike's full tank maby 500 gals its a big tank also sodas on a rack inside the screend back porch with a note saying $2 each please leave somthing in the donation jar if you drink them Mikes a great guy and spends alot to help out.
2/11 131 small creeklet 6' w 2' deep clear.
2/11 136 8' w 1 deep - clear
2/11 139.5 yuck and not to full .
2/11 140.2 nance yn 2ft w 8' deep good water dumped the guzzler water out and used this. it looks like it runs alot of the year with lots of moss and a ton of frogs to sing you to sleep if you camp there.
2/12 142.7 4 empty 2 1/2 gal bottles.
I lost a day somewere I finished on the 13th if you want take a look and adjust also I am going by Halfmiles maps and my gps and a couple of locations on the report I used diden't ad up proubly from side trips.
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do the San Jacintos again I have done them already this year I live up here and have done them many times if
not I will be starting at black mnt going down snow creek trail and will be sending reports in a few weeks.