[pct-l] What do you wish you'd done more of before your thru?

Chris Martin rofltosh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 11:44:42 CST 2012

Hi PCT-L,

I've got a bad case of trail lust. There is nothing I'd rather be doing
right now than living in the backcountry with other hikers, free from
workaday concerns. That said, my finances aren't yet in proper shape for a
thru-hike, and I recently started an interesting job that's treating me
well. So, I'm looking at 2013.

Now that you've completed your thru-hike, what do you wish you had done
more of beforehand, aside from the obvious activities? What can I do now to
get the most out of a long foot journey? I'm already hiking on a regular
basis (a wet but mild winter in upstate NY), and reading as much about the
PCT and lightweight backpacking as possible.

My greatest apprehension is that the PCT is very linear and very
well-documented. There are up-to-date maps, waypoints, water reports, and
trail journals. Most of it is just a few taps away on a smartphone, so
significant decisions can be anticipated well ahead on the trail, or even
before setting foot on the trail.

While on your thru-hike, did you feel that following a predetermined path
removed the sense of adventure? What significant elements of the unknown
remain on the PCT?

When hiking, I like to explore places off the beaten path, e.g. "That gorge
looks interesting, I'll spend the afternoon walking up it". I've found some
amazing spots just by following my curiosity.

During your thru-hike, did you have time and energy for such diversions, or
did the desire to complete on time keep you focused on the trail?

Thanks to all for any wisdom and advice.

Chris