[pct-l] Spare water containers

James Call freneticmarmot at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 09:56:23 CDT 2012

Anne
Congratulations on your commitment to hiking the PCT! You are going to have
a fantastic adventure. When I hiked in 2010, I never carried more than 5 L
of water. I carried 1 PowerAid bottle in my right side pocket because it's
easy to get in and out while walking and also because it is the right shape
for filling in shallow streams. In my left pocket I carried a 1 L platypus.
I also carried a spare 1 L and 2.5 L platy in my pack. The 2.5 L only
weighs 1.2 oz! Not only can the platypuses be burped to reduce sloshing,
but I also I inflated them to serve as a pillow or help fill up my
frameless pack as the food bag emptied. I only had 1 platy fail, and it was
an ooze, not a catastrophic fail. I did have a replacement in my bounce
bucket.
Happy Trails,
Conductor

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:52:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Anne Estoppey  Subject:
[pct-l] Carrying extra water, which container(s) do you use? To: "
pct-l at backcountry.net"  Message-ID: <
1340974325.1654.YahooMailNeo at web112314.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Hello everybody ? I am planning to hike PCT
in 2013. I am therefore in the process of collecting information about
gear. I found numerous gear lists and I picked out some items?already. ?
There is one thing though I didnt find much information about. It is about
carrying a large amount of water, while hiking in SoCal and in case the
water springs are dry. ? I imagine carrying 1 gal of water is fine, in a
platypus for instance. But how do you carry 2 gallons or maybe 2.5? Can you
have several platypus in your backpack without it to be 'slushing around'?
Do you carry extra water in other types of containers? Which ones? ? I
would be happy to hear about your experiences, good or bad! ? Thanks a lot
in advance :-)