[pct-l] New Plan

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jun 29 19:19:35 CDT 2012

If you are willing to come to California a nice trip is to hike in to
Cottonwood lakes and camp there. Then on your middle day do a day
hike to climb Mt. Langley. It's right next to Mt. Whitney and almost
as high. On your last day return home. It's not very long to
Cottonwood Lakes and this lets your weaker hiker decide whether or
not to do the big mountain climb on the middle day or not.

Perhaps there are similar trips you could do in Washington or
Northern Oregon if California is too far away. Perhaps you could hike
up the Eagle Creek trail and make seeing the waterfall the goal for
the weaker person. That'll be a tough climb for almost anybody, but
you can select a base camp and then the stronger ones can do a day
hike on the middle day up to see Mt. Hood or something.

Something similar could probably be done with Goat Rocks, too. It's
really pretty up there.