[pct-l] Tenacious or just stupid...you decide.

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 18:51:13 CDT 2012

Jerry,

I vote for tenacious!

Although I consider a continuous, border to border thru-hike to be an order
of magnitude more awesome than a flip-flop and two orders of magnitude
mightier than multi-year section hikes, getting back on the trail somehow,
sometime, is what it's all about. In my case, it took eight years to finish
the trail through knee surgery, divorce, two deaths in the family, three
career changes, and what seemed like nine bi-annual mid-life crises. The
Pacific Crest Trail is what got me through my fifties! Clutching Monument
78 made all that stuff just fade away.

So tenacious yes, stupid no. You might want to spend a night or two at
Horseshoe Meadow to see how you're feeling with the elevation. Water won't
be any problem. Living in SLC, maybe elevation won't be, either.

That piece between Tehachapi and Lone Pine is really much nicer in the
fall, by the way. And if you try, you might be able to get someone on this
list to help you cache some water along there when you get around to hiking
it. I lugged a couple of gallons up the trail from Hwy 58 for Marge the Old
Gal and her friend years ago when I was living in Bakersfield. If you ask,
someone will step up.

Best wishes,

Jim Ostdick
Palomino