[pct-l] not Jerry's "Death" at Walker Pass

Jerry Goller geartester at comcast.net
Sat Jun 23 16:11:55 CDT 2012

Thank you, sir. I assumed the problems associated with diabetes would be
about insulin and other meds. The real problem turned out to be water
management. With diabetes the water goes out almost as fast as it goes in.
If I can't get enough water then I can't eat. If I can't eat then my blood
glucose shoots up. This continues until I completely rehydrate or die. The
hospital in Bakersfield put in 6 bags (IV) and the VA hospital at home put
in 2 more.

I started out on the 18 mile section to Robin Bird Spring with 7 liters of
water and 4-5 days of food (for KM). They took me out on the afternoon of
the second day. I was already pretty dehydrated and didn't realize it.

Back to the old drawing board....

Jerry

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
reviews on the planet.