[pct-l] Shin splints?

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 13:30:56 CDT 2012

Susan,

IIRC, "shin splints" is a term given to a stress fracture of the tibia, usually caused by repeated stress - walking, running, descending steep terrain, etc.  Can be lateral or longitudinal.  Last year I endured a matched set of stress fractures just below the kneecaps.  Mine were lateral and almost 1/2 way through the width of the bones.  The only symptom I experienced was chronic pain which was not relieved by rest or Vit. I.  Surprisingly, the pain didn't start until about a day or two before I had to get off the trail.  I assume that some people with shin splints feel the pain earlier, some later.

My orthopaedic doc prescribed rest and nothing to make th e fractures worse.  No running, no bicycling, no treadmill, minimize stairclimbing and descending, cushioned shoes, etc.  He said the normal recovery time for my injury was 4 to 8 months.  Since he didn't order any follow-up MRI 's, I can't say for sure how quic kly they healed.

I asked him how to tell the difference between a stress fracture and general knee pain caused by repeti tive stress on the joint.  He said the inflammation pain would diminish quickly with rest, ice, elevation, Vit. I, and beer (actually he didn't say beer - I just stuck that in for humor).  A stress fracture would no t respond to those treatments in a matter of hours or days.

I'm going back on the PCT in 3 weeks, with a kinder, gentler strategy.  Less weight in the pack, fewer miles per day, more zeros and more rest periods.  Not having to get to Manning Park this year makes that easier.

Good luck with diagnosis and recovery.

Mango