[pct-l] critter encounters

Bill Thompson yoshiker at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 14 14:41:12 CDT 2012

Amen, Fireweed. I have been backpacking in the Sierra for 40 years and
always store food in my tent at night when it is inconvenient to hang, or
when I'm not required to lug one of those damnable bear cans. Never lost an
ounce of food because I defend the food if a bear does come around - making
noise, throwing rocks, and chasing the bear away. Bears are shy, inofensive
creatures who would have nothing to do with people food if campers protected
it and acted aggressively toward them. Keep your bear cans close, hang your
food where you can see it from your tent, and sleep with it if necessary.
Most of all make the bear unwelcome in your campsite - don't huddle in the
tent when the bear tries to get your food, get up and chase the varmint
away.

Baggins