[pct-l] best shoes for the PCT - women's

Christy Georg christygeorg007 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:47:43 CDT 2012

Deborah,

The guys are right, you need the best shoes for YOU.  As a woman who thru-hiked in 2011, I can tell you I loved Patagonia Drifter hiking shoes.  The previous year I did a 3-week test hike in Merril Moabs and my feet throbbed even waking me in the night.  I need a very firm hard sole to prevent "feeling" the trail later.  Maybe because I'm older (37).  Be sure you have room to wiggle your toes and buy them a 1/2 size too big, maybe a full size.  As long as your toes wiggle and you practice on the downhill ramp, with the laces tight enough so your toes don't ram... You're good.  In hot weather my feet swell amazingly.

Be sure to change your socks at least once a day, more in SoCal.  If you can soak them in a stream on lunch break, you'll be doing great.  When they hurt, elevate them on your pack as you're going to bed.
cheers

wandering dot