[pct-l] Restless Leg Syndrome

Greg Hummel bighummel at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 18:05:23 CDT 2012

Your president of this local chapter of the Great International Restless Leg Society (G.I.R.L.S.) brings you this latest information on our terrible disease;

- Restless legs syndrome is a neurological disorder characterized by throbbing, pulling, creeping, or other unpleasant sensations in the legs and an uncontrollable, and sometimes overwhelming, urge to move them. (uh, duh!)

- Because moving the legs relieves the discomfort, people with RLS often keep their legs in motion to minimize or prevent the sensations. They may pace the floor, constantly move their legs while sitting, and toss and turn in bed.  (yep!)

- Evidence suggests that RLS is related to a dysfunction in the brain’s basal ganglia circuits that use the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is needed to produce smooth, purposeful muscle activity and movement. Disruption of these pathways frequently results in involuntary movements.  (I've always known that I was crazy, but this suggests we all are! And, it explains why I just walk, I don't know why and can't explain any of it)

- RLS may begin at any age.  Twice as many women as men are affected.  Symptoms typically become more frequent and last longer as people get older. (explains why the average age of a thru-hiker is increasing)

Together we will fight to stay active and keep the dirty wolves of this disease from consuming us!

Greg Hummel

“Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks in the world”
								― Forest Gump