[pct-l] Off Trail

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 14:11:58 CDT 2012

Piper's Mom wrote:

Mark, you've learned some valuable lessons.  Why not take a break, skip
ahead and join the trail further on up.  We'd love to see you up here in
lovely NorCal.

I agree.

The concept of the thru-hike is a strange one.  On the other hand, it
resonates deeply with a lot of people.  Who can resist the siren song of the
epic challenge?  To live the unfettered life, to revel in nature, to find
oneself?  On the other hand, the day-to-day mechanics of thru-hiking
actually kind of sucks.  It's hot, dirty, painful, lonely, exhausting, and
the trail is just too damn long to be enjoyable for its whole length for
many people.  Even among the people who manage to finish, I've heard a lot
of them say, "Thank God it's over."

If you've got five months of time, money, and supplies already carved out,
there's no particular reason why your choices have to be limited to "pure
thru-hike" vs. "go home and stay home".  Become a section hiker!  In many
ways, the life of a section hiker is much freer and more rewarding than that
of a thru-hiker.  You don't have to stress over schedules and making miles.
You can hike each area in its optimal season.  You can take breaks whenever
you want to.  You can skip around and meet up with friends you've made, or
do some trail-angeling, or just spend lazy days beside a beautiful lake.
Instead of your overriding goal being, "I must get to Canada", your goal
becomes "I'm out here to enjoy myself to the fullest."  That can make a
world of difference.

Thru-hiking is an amazing and worthwhile goal, sure.  But it's not the
*only* amazing and worthwhile goal and I think the PCT community's focus on
thru-hiking tends to make people overlook the wonders to be found in
enjoying the trail in other ways.  I fully intend to thru-hike myself
someday when my kids are grown.  I can't resist the siren song.  But right
now I'm section hiking about a week a year and as of last summer I've
accumulated over 1,150 PCT miles.  It's not thru-hiking but it feeds my soul
and has instilled in me a passionate love for the trail.

If you've got other things you'd rather be doing, that's great, but just
remember that the PCT doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition.

Eric