[pct-l] Older Hikers--Louis Lamour quote

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jun 9 10:39:23 CDT 2012

Good morning, ,

I’ll second Radar's comments.  I usually awake early and munch my granola
or bars while in the sack waiting for daylight; then I’m on the trail as
soon as it’s as I can see well – normally around 5 AM.  I don’t heat food
so snacks, lunch, and dinner are while I’m taking a breather at the top of
a hill, etc.  By the time I camp it’s around 7 PM and I’ve already eaten
miles back so I just crawl in the sack and sleep.

>From 5 AM to 7 PM is 14 hours for 25-30 miles -- about 2 miles/hour -- but
that includes breaks, gawking, scooping water, and irrigating the shrubbery.
 Still the actual hiking speed is only about 2.5 miles/hour.  That’s not
exactly a break-neck pace.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/