[pct-l] Older Hikers--Louis Lamour quote

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Sat Jun 9 05:02:00 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just don't buy in to the "Big Miles" culture. HYOH is a valid attitude. I plan to take my time this summer and will average fewer than 10 miles per day while riding.<

There are a couple of considerations here

1)Thru Hiking. You have to get to Canada before it starts to snow. 10
miles a day won't do that.

2)Slower hiking means carrying more food.... which is not much of an
issue if a pack animal is carrying your food for you. By doing 30 mile
days I was able to get by with 11 lbs of food for a 150 mile stretch,
which made the hiking a lot more enjoyable

Remember that 30 miles a day is not really speed hiking, it is only 10
hours of hiking at a reasonable 3mph, and that leaves 14 hours for
taking pics, sleeping, cooking, sitting in beautiful meadows.