[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim cache-less strategy?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 20:18:40 CDT 2012

>From my August 2002 hike journal of that section:

Subway Cave is last permanent source on south end

Rock Creek is the first permanent source north of that

I left Old Station at 1400 hours (2:00 pm). I carried 5 liters from Subway
Cave and dry camped at 2030 (8:30 pm) on the rim, about 10 miles from SC.
Out at 0615, reached the fire lookout tower at 0715, and Cache 22 at 0815. I
drank one liter from the cache, and reached Rock Creek at 1400 (2:00 pm)
with 2 liters still on my pack. Poor planning on my part; I could have
carried less (or better yet, have drunken more). I cooked dinner here and
then continued on 12 more miles to Burney Falls State Park at 1900 (7:00
pm).

It should be noted that I was most fortunate to catch a "cool stretch" of
weather on the rim. Mid-day temps never got above 85°F either day. YMMV.