[pct-l] Cheryl Strayed's book

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:09:30 CDT 2012

Like a lot of people have mentioned, "wild" is definitely less about actually hiking the PCT, though of course plays a big role. It's certainly worth reading for all the other stuff, her experience losing someone close to her, the subsequent happenings after that.

And I actually DO think that her experience in the book makes the trail sound very very difficult. I've read a number of PCT memoirs and this one actually seemed a bit more real to me because of how hard it was for her, with her huge pack and foot injuries. To me, so many hiking memoirs seem to go along the same lines of "and then I did 25 miles that day, climbed this mountain, and eventually got to Canada". She definitely goes into detail about the misery that I'm sure ALL PCT hikers experience at some point, whether it be miserable rain or cold. I particularly identified with having sound loops and songs playing in loops in your head for hours at a time.

It certainly does a great deal to inspire you to get out and HIKE, but I'm not sure it really sells long distance hiking as a pleasant experience. And hey, with the rate of obesity in the US right now, more hikers might not be a bad thing.

Cheers,
Lindsey

Sent from my iPhone