[pct-l] Fwd: Off Trail

mark utzman blackbelthiker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:18:00 CDT 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mark utzman <blackbelthiker at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Subject: Off Trail
To: pct-l-request <pct-l-request at backcountry.net>

Hello all,

   Sad to say, I left the trail at Idyllwild after 2 weeks out of Campo. I
was reluctant to post, but after reading today's pct-l, I thought it might
be a good thing. My feet held up pretty good, my body was strong, but
mentally and emotionally the trail beat me. It did become a bit of a grind,
day in day out. It seemed to me that the mentally of most if not all of the
thru-hikers I met was to hike as far and as fast as you can everyday. I
even met a thru-hiker that RAN down switchbacks! My knees hurt watching
him.  Everyone I met at Campo ( about 12 or 15 on 5/2 ) was determined to
get to Lake Morena the first day. I made it to Hauser Creek. My feet were a
little sore, but I was exhausted. The stretch between Paradise Cafe and
Idyllwild discouraged me. I was beat. I learned a lot about hiking and what
to do and not do next time ( I hope there will be a next time ). HYOH went
out the window for me. I tried to keep up with the pack ahead of me. Big
mistake. I was also carrying about 40 pounds average. Another mistake. I
hardly ate dinner, I was too tired by the time I made camp, and I only
snacked a little as I hiked, hence the low morale I experienced on the
trail. The first week was hard physically, then the second week became hard
mentally. By then I just wasn't enjoying the hike anymore. I have been an
avid backpacker for many years, but there is a huge difference between
hiking for 2 or 3 days at a time and hiking for weeks at a time. Now that I
am off the trail, I am a lot disappointed in myself. I knew this thru-hike
attempt would be hard, and the challenge of persevering was why I wanted to
do it in the first place. I am very melancholy now. No doubt, a few can
relate to me. Lessons learned: Hike your own hike. Time and distance don't
matter. Whether you make it 100 miles or 1000 miles, enjoy every step.
Thinking of the entire distance (2700 miles) can be overwhelming. Take it
one day at a time, and don't quit, you will regret it. I do. Carry a light
load, as light as is reasonable for you. A heavy load will drain you
physically and mentally. It is also more dangerous to carry a heavy pack.
EAT. EAT. EAT. You need energy to hike, and energy comes from calories, and
calories come from food, a lot of it. Take the time to stop, rest, take
your shoes off, and eat. Do it often. If your morale is low, it is probably
because you are not eating enough. Hydrate yourself. Drink water often,
every 15 minutes or so. and drink a lot. Don't skimp on water. I had no
problems finding water . And last, something I didn't do: If you want to
quit, don't. Hike another 50 miles. Take a zero day or two, or three. ( I
took none until I got to Idyllwild). And if you do decide to leave the
trail, do it on an up note. Be comfortable with your decision. I had BIG
mixed feelings about quitting. Thanks for listening.  Mark  aka  Tumbler