[pct-l] The "Lost" effect on our community

Mike Beaty mike_beaty at q.com
Fri Jun 8 09:53:06 CDT 2012

Two observations here:

>From the table that Radar compiled, I see a growth trend in AT usage existed
long before the publication of Walk in the Woods and it would be just as
reasonable to speculate that the book's success was in part due to this
trend and the wider public interest it represents.  We can speculate on the
effects "Lost" may have on PCT usage, but my hunch is that it is more
indicative of a wider phenomena.

As for huts, in the 70's I lived in Maine and regularly hiked the AT there.
The huts in Baxter State Park were lifesavers (from hypothermia) during the
week long rain events of September and our hiking party would race from one
hut bivouac to the next through the torrents.  The numerous resident mice
were fat, bold, and easily dispatched by jacking and bopping them on the
head with a flashlight (just like little bunny foo foo).  Mike Chapman could
have feasted at these huts.

Two cents,
Terrapin
Boise